I specialize in personal essays, travel writing, technical writing,
book reviews, and other works of creative non-fiction.
You'll find me with pen in hand in cafés, parks, museums, and on trains. I'll write anywhere! However, my current studio is the second bedroom of my attic flat in Oslo.
To kindle a kinship with my readers, to answer their questions (all of which are also my own). Writing helps me to organize my thoughts and to make sense of things.
Writers spring from a common soil, enriched by all the beautiful, precise, and rousing writing that has come before and that continues to grow around them.
Yosemite National Park
Nonfiction is my specialty (e.g., intimate profiles of remarkable people, personal essays, travel articles, etc.), but I also enjoy writing fiction and poetry. Currently, I'm researching my master's thesis, a project inspired by contemporary women writers of the American West.
- Startup Guide Oslo (October 2016) is the sixth in a series of entrepreneurial handbooks published
by Startup Everywhere. Audrey authored chapters on city essentials,
coworking spaces, incubator and accelerator programs, and interviews with
successful Norwegian entrepreneurs. Read more about the project at
The Girl Behind the Red Door. Buy the Book.
- Startup Guide Vienna (March 2017) is the eighth in a series of entrepreneurial handbooks published
by Startup Everywhere. Audrey authored chapters on coworking spaces,
incubator and accelerator programs, and interviews with
successful Austrian entrepreneurs. Buy the Book.
Essays & Stories
- "Invisibility" appeared in These Twisted Roots, the third annual anthology from The Oslo Writers' League, published by Grimbold Books (September 2015). Buy the Book.
- "Sinober" appeared in All the Ways Home, the second annual anthology from The Oslo Writers' League, published by Grimbold Books (May 2014). Buy the Book.
- "Roots" earned Audrey the Irrgrønn Flash Fiction Award, presented at the Irrgrønn Festival of Contemporary Irish Literature in Oslo (March 2014). Read Story.
- "We Climb Anyway" appeared in Inspiring Generations: 150 Years, 150 Stories from Yosemite, published by the Yosemite Conservancy to observe the 150th Anniversary of the Yosemite Land Grant (December 2013). Yosemite Conservancy Store
- "Orientation" appeared in North of the Sun, South of the Moon: New Voices from Norway, published by Holland House (May 2013). Buy the Book or the eBook
- "Sanctuary" received an Honorable Mention in the Tenebris Books Flash Fiction Competition (October 2012).
- "Between Stone and Air" appeared in Forge magazine (July 2012). Read Essay
- "Not yet. Someday. Not yet." appeared in Foliate Oak Literary Magazine (April 2012). Read Essay
- "Leaving the Nest" appeared in CAIRN: The St. Andrews Review (Spring 2012).
- Women of Telenor, a series of personal profiles with Telenor's top female executives, including CEO Berit Svendsen, CFO Caroline Htay & CCAO Wenche Agerup — Telenor Website (April 2017) Read the series
- "The Mayan Princess of Funk," a profile of Norwegian rocker, model and DJ Maya Vik — VOLT Magazine (March 2017) Read VOLT
- "The Bearable Lightness of Duality," a profile of Norwegian fashion designer Mona Jensen/Tom Wood — VOLT Magazine (March 2017) Read VOLT
- "Double Identity, Double Harmony," a profile of Norwegian perfumer Cathrine Røsseland — Brygg Magasin (February 2016) Buy BRYGG
- "Seeking Sensations," an artist's profile of Norwegian filmmaker Kenneth Karlstad — Brygg Magasin (December 2015) Read Article
- "Benefit from Selecting the Right Professional Liability Broker" — PE Magazine, National Society of Professional Engineers (March 2015) Read Article
- "The Disappearing Norwegians," about Norway's sommerstengt tradition — The Foreigner (July 2014) Read Article
- "Fractured Identity & The Freak Show: An Interview with Valerie Bandura" — Pacifica Literary Review (May 2014) Read Article
- "Alone on the 17th of May," about my first experience with Norway's Constitution Day — The Foreigner (May 2014) Read Article
- "Digging In," about the Norwegian tradition of dugnad — The Foreigner (May 2014) Read Article
- "The Ski-in," about attempting the Norwegian pasttime of cross-country skiing — The Foreigner (April 2014) Read Article
- "Buildering: A Tale from Oslo" — Buildering.net (June 2013) Read Article
- "Winter Activities in Oslo" — Expat Explorer Blog (March 2013) Read Article
- "An Insider's Guide to Oslo" — Cheapflights.ca (September 2012) Read Article
- "Modern Day Tragedies and American Clichés – Martin Grüner Larsen’s interview with American author David Vann" — The Oslo Eye (June 2012) Read Article
- "The Goon Squad Comes to Oslo – Linn Ullmann’s Litteraturhuset Interview with Jennifer Egan" — The Oslo Eye (May 2012) Read Article
- "A New Look at Limitations of Liability" — California Society of Professional Engineers, CSPE Online (March 2010)
- The Postmasters Podcast
Audrey co-hosts this monthly writing podcast with friend and fiction writer Lacy Arnett Mayberry (Launched July 2013).
- I author, co-author, and guest-write for a number of blogs. Details about my work for The Girl Behind the Red Door and The ProNet Blog can be found here.
Audrey Camp is a freelance writer and American expat living in Oslo, Norway.
She received her BA in English from UC Davis and her MFA in Creative Writing from Lesley University.
Audrey is currently working toward an MA in English and American Literature at the University of Oslo.
Her work has appeared in a variety of magazines, literary journals, and anthologies, and she received the
Irrgrønn Flash Fiction Award at the Irish Literature Festival in Oslo in 2014. She is the co-author of
Startup Guide Oslo (October 2016) and
Startup Guide Vienna (March 2017),
each a comprehensive overview of the entrepreneurial scene in a fast-growing European capital.
Audrey has blogged about writing, climbing, travel, faith and motherhood for more than ten years at
The Girl Behind the Red Door,
and she has also written about expat life in a monthly column for The Foreigner.
In 2017, Audrey was elected Chair of Democrats Abroad Norway.